Seedai: salty and sweet (uppu and vellai).
You can have Seedai: salty and sweet (uppu and vellai) using 20 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Seedai: salty and sweet (uppu and vellai)
- It's of Uppu seedai / salty snack:.
- Prepare of Rice flour.
- You need of Urad dal flour.
- You need of Hing.
- Prepare of Salt.
- Prepare of Ghee.
- Prepare of Water to make a dough.
- You need of Oil to fry.
- It's of Coconut.
- Prepare of Sesame seeds.
- Prepare of Vella seedai:.
- You need of Rice flour.
- It's of Urad dal flour.
- You need of Jaggery grated.
- It's of Cardamom powder.
- Prepare of Coconut.
- Prepare of Sesame.
- It's of Water to knead dough.
- Prepare of Ghee.
- Prepare of Oil to fry.
Seedai: salty and sweet (uppu and vellai) instructions
- Roast the rice flour and urad dal flour separately in a pan till all the moisture goes. Do not let the flours change their colour..
- Keep the flours to cool for about 10 minutes..
- Sieve both the flour together and remove any lumps. Do this step 2 times..
- Take a bowl add the flours and keep it aside..
- Dry roast coconut and sesame seeds till they are puffy and raw smell goes..
- Keep it aside and allow it cool..
- Take the flours in step 4 and 7 in a mixer and grind till it's fine in texture..
- Take out the flours in a bowl, add salt, hing and ghee and make a soft dough like we make for roti..
- Grease your hands and make small balls of the flour. Make all the balls and keep under a dry towel so that it doesn't dry..
- Heat oil enough to fry till it's hot and then fry the balls in batches..
- Allow the balls to cool and serve it..
- Repeat the same steps for the sweet seedai but just remove salt and hing from the recipe and just add jaggery syrup and cardamom..
- When you make jaggery syrup just add grated syrup in a pan with 1/4 cup water. Make a thick syrup pour into the flours and then mix with a spoon. Then continue the same steps like for salty seedai..